SHAB E BARAT ANOTHER FALSEHOOD FROM THE HADITHS
Sunnis observe Mid-Sha’ban as a night of worship and salvation. Various hadiths have been in this regard, some weak and others graded hassan or sahih.
Some of the hadiths related to Shaban month & Night:
1-It was narrated that Aishah said:
“The Prophet used to fast Shaban.” ‘
Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)
Reference: Sunan an-Nasa’i 2181
Vol. 3, Book 22, Hadith 2183
3- It was narrated from Umm Salamah:
That the Messenger of Allah would not fast any two consecutive months except Shaban and Ramadan.
Sunan an-Nasa’i 2352
Vol. 3, Book 22, Hadith 2354
3- It was narrated from Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allah said:
“Allah looks down on the night of the middle of Sha’ban and forgives all His creation, apart from the idolater and the Mushahin.”
Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1390
Book 5, Hadith 1453
4- It was narrated that ‘Aishah said:
“I missed the Prophet one night, so I went out looking for him. I found him at Al-Baqi’, raising his head towards the sky. He said: ‘O ‘Aishah, were you afraid that Allah and His Messenger would wrong you?’” She said: “I said: ‘No, it is not that, but I thought that you had gone to one of your other wives.’ He said: ‘Allah descends on the night of the middle of Sha’ban to the lowest heaven, and He forgives more than the numbers of hairs on the sheep of Banu Kalb.’”
Sunan Ibn Majah
Vol. 1, Book 5, Hadith 1389
Book 5, Hadith 1452
THE BELIEVES ABOUT THIS DAY:
1. Some people believe that in Surah al-Dukhan (44:3-4) there is a reference to this night as Allah says, “We sent it (the Qur’an) down during a blessed night. We are truly warners. In that night is made distinct every affair of wisdom”
-But the night referred to here cannot be a Sha’ban night, because it is said here clearly that the Quran was revealed in this night. We know from the Surah al-Qadr (97) that the Quran was revealed in the night of Qadr and we also know from the Quran (Al-Baqarah 2:185) that the Qur’an was revealed in the Ramadan, so it is obvious that the night of the revelation of the Quran was in Ramadan, not Sha’ban, and that it was Laylatul Qadr not Shab-e-barat (or the Sha’ban night).
2. Some people also say that in the 2nd year of Hijrah, the direction of Qiblah was changed from Jerusalem to Ka’bah (Makkah) on the 15th day of Sha’ban.
-This report is also not confirmed by so called authentic hadiths.
According to most of the scholars of Tafsir, the Qur’an has not mentioned anything about the Sha’ban night. There are some Ahadith that speak about the Middle of Sha’ban and its night. However, the scholars of Hadiths say that most of the hadiths concerning this night are not sound. They are weak (da’if) according to the criteria of the Muhaddithin.
THE SUPERSTTIONS ABOUT THIS DAY:
1. some people believe that the spirits (arwah) of the deceased visit their relatives during this night.
2. Some believe that there is a special Tree in the heaven upon whose leaves are the names of all human beings, and whatever leaves drop during this night, those people are destined to die in this year.
3. Some think that the decisions about the life and death of people are made during this night.
All these beliefs and superstitions do not belong to the authentic teachings of the Quran.
There is no proof of Shab-e-Barat Night from the Quran.
Nowhere in the Quran it is mentioned to fast on this day.
Nowhere in the Quran Allah said a person will get salvation from the hell-fire on this night.
Nowhere in the Quran that fate of people decide for one year on this night.
Nowhere in the Quran it is mentioned that Shab-e-Barat is a special night.